Photobucket

Thursday, June 24, 2010

A visit to Auckland War Memorial Museum











What a fabulous morning we had at the Auckland War Memorial Museum. Our main purpose was to visit the Maori section of the Museum. However, because the museum were daunted with a group of 45 children and 26 adults we split into two groups with one group starting in the Maori section and the other group starting in Weird and Wonderful. After an hour we swapped over. On arriving back at kindergarten we asked the children what they liked best at the Museum. This is one way we can discover what captured their attention and discover how they are building their working theories.

Cody said, I liked seeing the Maori things. I liked Weird and Wonderful too. They've got a rat too. It was just sleeping. I saw a lizard too.
Kaea said, I liked seeing the waka. the sticks inside it were really cool. I liked the carvings on it too. I tell you the yuckiest one I've ever seen ... those big beetles. They were eating yucky food. I saw cockroaches too. I liked the polar bear. It was just a statue. if it was a real polar bear it would knock out that glass.
Gryffyn said, I liked the carvings on the canoe.
Elias said, I liked the spiders because they were in the drawers. A tarantula. They eat birds.
Nathan said, I liked seeing the waka. That was brown. It was SO long. I had fun going on the bus because it went so fast. I could see all the cars and houses. I liked going with Matthew's Mum.
Josh said, I liked the Maori bit because it had Maori carvings. I saw some canoes. It was a little bit too big. I saw a flag pole, a small one. I liked the Weird and Wonderful because it had all sorts of books. I liked the little hole where you could do the cuckoo.
Jacob said, I liked all of the funny things - all of the bugs. There were lots of different kinds of bones. I liked the statue animals.
Jaedyn said, I liked the carvings. they were cool. They are kind of like korus. They are like morena carvings. i liked looking at the lollies. I liked the big boat with a statue on it. There were some sticks in it. there was a big, big statue on it. There was a big, big, big house next to it. It was kind of like the Marae.
Reid said, I liked the monsters, the brown monsters that's got teeth and claws. I liked the dinosaur bones because they're good. They broke off. I don't like the carvings. They are very bad.
Luke said, I liked the carvings cause I did. I liked the dinosaur bones. I liked the spider what I found. It was dead. It couldn't move.
Ben said, I liked the spiders because they were so scary. I was afraid of them. I liked the funny monkey. It was a statue. His nose was long and funny. I liked the statue grizzly bear too. I liked the statue polar bear too. I liked the fishies.
Grace said, I liked the rocking horses cause they were beautiful. I liked the Maoris cause they were beautiful. I liked the butterflies too cause they were beautiful.
Daisy said, I liked the waka - all of it. I liked the colours. I liked the dinosaurs because I have a dinosaur book. I liked the carvings too.
Lily said, I liked the rocking horses on the roof because they were a horse and they were hanging on the roof.
Charlotte W said, I liked the horsies and the whare. I spotted it. You've got to take your shoes off. I loved the carvings because I really spotted them, lots of them. I liked the roof in the whare. It was red and white .... but I liked the walls too.
Elise said, I liked the boat. it was really big ... REALLY big. I saw a giant elephant. It was a statue. I liked the tree with some stuff in it and the messy old bedroom.
Max said, I liked the meeting house because you can go inside. You've got to take your shoes off. It was cool because its got paua shells. I saw carvings - people carvings and we took photos of us standing next to the carvings. I liked the ark because its got carvings.
Cohen said, I liked the rats, the baby ones. I liked the hooks because I catch fish. I liked the bones.
Lauren said, I liked the Weird and Wonderful cause it had lots of animals. I liked the dead bunny cause I like bunnies. I've got a bunny at home. I liked the meeting house and I liked the carvings cause their tongues are out. I liked the dead elephant too cause I like elephants.
Matthew said, I liked the cockroaches because they're smelly. I just like beetles. I liked the rats. they were so cute. I liked the polar bear because it was so cute.
Charlotte K said, I liked the fish cause I've been there before. And I liked the sharks and stingrays. I don't like the creatures. They're yuk. But I like Weird and Wonderful and the polar bear.
Keira said, I liked the scary cockroaches because once me and my dad went there. I liked the things that you hold in your hand (meal worms). I liked the bus too.
Rachel said, I liked the pictures with the funny hair sticking up. I liked the pretend boat cause it had sparkles.
Rocky said, I like the carvings because I went to them. I liked going there and all the way home.
Miriama said, I liked the lollies there. They weren't real. I liked then cause they were colourful - and that's it.
Arthur said, Animals. I liked the animals. The bear. the spider.
Aimee said, I liked the rocking horse because they were still. I liked the house - the one with the carvings on because its got Maori things.
Karissa said, I liked the animals - the elephant - cause I know what elephants eat - coconuts.
Holly said, I liked the carvings cause they had shapes. I liked the houses, the Maori houses. They were really cool. I liked the boats cause they were hanging out of the roof.
Jemma said, I liked the polar bear. I almost went sliding. I liked the carvings cause they were poking their tongues out.
Jasmin said, I like the bones cause they're pretty. I liked the big spiders. I liked the big ship.
Sean said, I liked the waka cause it was big. I liked the dinosaur bones.
Olivia said, I liked the dinosaur bones. I kinda only liked the dinosaur bones cause they were so soft cause if they had been inside the dinosaur they would have been really, really soft.
Mitchell said, I liked the bones cause they had dinosaurs on them. I liked the birds cause they were so cute and even they had babies. they were statues of them. They stand still every day. I liked the waka cause it was so cool cause it had carvings and steps inside it. I liked the polar bear cause it was so cool but it was just a statue. Then I saw the Maori house and went inside it. there were carvings, lots of old carvings.

4 comments:

  1. Nathan loved the trip to the Museum. He talked alot about looking up at the room in the Marae and looking at the koru. When he was asked what is a koru he told us it is round, porowhita. Amazing what our kids soak up thanks to some WONDERFUL teachers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip. Max couldn't stop talking about it - especially the waka. He even wore his museum badge for the next couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic trip that was thoroughly enjoyed by all. Lauren and Jemma were so interested and asked lots of questions which at times I struggled to answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic trip, Josh just loved it and loved the Maori section. Thanks to Kara every now and then speaks words to me in Maori!! The photos are wonderful and really capture the children's enthusiasm, thank you BDK.

    ReplyDelete